Feel at home with Afea.
If you require support for daily tasks, our shared living accommodations will make you feel at home.
Our Supported Independent Living Homes in Oxley Park, St Clair and Penrith give you the opportunity to form friendships, connect with the local community and live independently – all while feeling confident you have the compassionate support of Afea Carers. We also provide support services to Specialist Disability Accommodation properties in Blacktown and Jordan Springs.
Move in with us and start your journey towards a rich and independent life!
At our SIL Homes, we willProvide a safe and supportive home environment: Our spacious, purpose-built homes give you the option to socialise with other residents or have some ‘me-time’ to enjoy your privacy.
Give you a voice in the household: As a resident, you have a say in all household decisions, activities and routines.
Support you to live independently: You can live on your own terms and still have the support to build the skills that will help you live as independently as possible.
Involve you in fun social activities: We have regular movie nights, BBQs, arts and crafts sessions, sports and daily walks, as well as day trips to explore nearby national parks or Sydney’s beautiful beaches!
Work closely with you to achieve your goals: Do you want to learn how to cook? Use public transport? Find employment? We will ask you about the things you want to achieve and help you reach these goals.
What kind of supports can I receive in my SIL home?
Afea Care Services will tailor a support plan that will equip you with the skills you need to live independently in your home. Our experienced Carers will help you with daily tasks such as:
- Personal care
- Household chores
- Daily skills training
- Shopping assistance
- Preparation of meals
- Medication assistance
- Community participation
- Additional NDIS funded services
How much does Supported Independent Living Cost?
Afea may charge up to 50% of the Disability Support Pension for household expenses including food and utilities. Rent will be up to 25% of the Disability Support Pension in addition to any Commonwealth Rent Assistance funding. You may be required to make a reasonable contribution on top of your funding to cover household costs, based on your individual needs and usage.
The daily supports are delivered as per the approved NDIS Roster of Care and are fully funded by the NDIA in line with your NDIS Plan. The approved funding amount will depend on your individual needs and goals. These will be determined by you and an Afea Accommodation Manager, who will create a Roster of Care to be submitted to the NDIA for approval.
How do I get Supported Independent Living funding?
Meet with an Afea Accommodation Manager to discuss your needs
Your Accommodation Manager will analyse your needs and create a Roster of Care
Roster of Care is submitted to NDIA for approval
Complete documentation and agreements
Move into your new home and receive services to live independently
- Located in the heart of Western Sydney in St Clair
- Immediate access to shopping centres, parks, recreational areas and public transport.
- Spacious interiors, large bedrooms, and a large outdoor area.
- Staffed by compassionate and qualified support workers with experience supporting people with mental health challenges.
- We can provide round-the-clock support to women living with psychosocial or intellectual disabilities with low or high care needs.
- Our home can accommodate four women who have goals around building their independence!
- Central, homely suburb located between Mount Druitt and St Marys
- Accessible by bus and near St Marys train station and shopping centre
- Three recently refurbished townhouses with private backyards, flooded with natural light
- All three townhouses have open plan living, dining and kitchen areas, with shared laundries tucked away for convenience
- The perfect new home for male NDIS participants who have been diagnosed with psychosocial or intellectual disabilities
LIMITED VACANCIESWe are now taking expressions of interest for our Supported Independent Living Home in Penrith! This is the perfect new home for NDIS participants who aspire to live independently and are open to living with others. We will match residents according to their needs and preferences.
- Centrally located with all amenities nearby
- Four-bedroom brick home recently refurbished
- Three vacancies for SIL participants
- Large, covered patio perfect for BBQs and small gatherings
- Covered carport with plenty of off-street parking
- 24/7 support from our team of carers
NOW OPEN TO EXPRESSIONS OF INTERESTWe have partnered with Enliven Housing to provide onsite care support at their newest Specialist Disability Accommodation apartments in Blacktown.
This partnership combines accessible, ultramodern living with Afea's compassionate care.
Enliven Housing's Evoke apartments in Blacktown offer open plan living spaces designed for easy flow and accessibility. Find Out More
NOW OPEN TO EXPRESSIONS OF INTERESTWe are now taking expressions of interest for the Specialist Disability Accommodation in Jordan Springs, thanks to our partnership with BlueCHP! The Jordan Springs property is made up of three homes. Contact us now for more info and to arrange a tour.
- The accommodation consists of three neighbouring homes
- Six vacancies for SDA-funded participants and one for a SIL participant, ready to move ASAP!
- Close to shops and services
- The home can accommodate participants with complex physical disabilities, complex mental health conditions and those diagnosed with Intellectual Disability.
- 24/7 support from our team of carers.
What is Supported Independent Living?
The process to get SIL funding is a bit different compared to other NDIS supports.
But you don’t need to go through this alone! Read our guide to learn about all things SIL. Find out more
Watch our residents spruce up the garden
Our Accommodation Manager Sri accompany our residents to shop for plants and do some gardening at our SIL home.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between services under Core Supports and SIL?
Supported Independent Living services help with daily tasks so you can live more independently at home. Core Supports may also help participants with daily tasks relating to the home, but also encompass other supports such as community access and transportation. The two services can be used in conjunction with each other
Am I eligible for SIL?
Participants are considered for SIL based on suitability rather than eligibility. You may be suitable depending on your goals and aspirations, current living situation, independent living skills, supports needed to achieve your living goals, supporting information, reports and assessments, alternative housing arrangements and what help is ‘reasonable and necessary’ for you to receive.
You will require supporting evidence from relevant health professionals that demonstrate the suitability for SIL accommodation. Once this is obtained, you will need to ask a provider such as Afea to prepare a quote which will be submitted to the NDIA. You will then need to request a plan review to have your SIL budget incorporated into your NDIS Plan.
What’s the difference between SDA and SIL?
Specialist Disability Accommodation is a contribution to the cost of accessible housing, whereas SIL is a support that allows people to receive help to live more independently at home.
Neither is a contribution to the cost of rent, as the NDIS considers this an everyday cost for all Australians. Most people that are eligible for SDA will also receive a SIL package.
How is SIL funded?
SIL funding is designed to cover the cost of wages, to allow for quality supports and to cover indirect costs. You may split the cost of services with any housemates you may have that share similar needs.
The funding amount you will be approved for will depend on the SIL quote that your provider will prepare for you based on your care needs, as well as the care needs of any other residents in your SIL home.
What is not included in a SIL quote?
SIL is for the purpose of providing assistance for daily tasks in order for participants to live independently at home and does not include:
- Everyday expenses
- Care in hospital
- Activities outside of the home, such as transport
- SDA related costs
How should I prepare for a SIL quoting meeting?
To get ready for your meeting with an Afea Care Manager who will prepare your quote, you should consider what your needs are, what your living goals are and what help you are currently receiving. We may also ask you to provide:
- Clinical assessments and reports
- Behavioural assessments or plans
- Incident reports
- Police reports
- Risk assessments
- Statements from previous providers or landlords
- Standardised assessments
Speak to our SIL team today
If you want to know more about our Supported Independent Living Homes, just reach out to our team!Get in Touch